» What a nightmare!, Fleas..........
jenmm
 Posted: Sep 1 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 91

Rep: none

Awards: None

Hope this is the right forum... if not, move it.

I need some advice. My dogs have fleas. I saw one on Joey and Laurie. Joey is in the yard all the time.... Laurie is, well, in the house all the time.....

I dosed them all with Frontline before I left. I called the vets office and need to buy more. I'm going to wash bedding tonight..... (since I don't have enough to do).......

What else do I need to do? Treat my lawn? If so, with what?
Scrub carpets?
Bath the dogs? (if so, what is safe to treat and how many days after the Frontline?)
What else do I need to do regarding their couches and the carpet? I have skinkids (one of whom that is crawling)......

Only Joey and Rachel have ever had a flea before....never Miss Laurie....she's barely outside.

Thanks in advance!!
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Sep 1 2011, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Awards: 1

We had really bad fleas in our basement last year and Trish got something the vet recommended and it worked. This is where the cats live and some of the cats had them. Let me ask Trish what it's called and I will post it for you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Sep 1 2011, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Trish used Comfortis. 1/2 dose a month per dog.

The house, vacuum bag - spray with adams free spray. Vacuum everything and put in vacuum bag in trash can and through away right away. Then spray vacuum.
Vacuum every couple days.

It took Trish about a month to get rid of the fleas.
^
jenmm
 Posted: Sep 2 2011, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 91

Great, thanks!

You know, I'm not sure if the fleas aren't biting them or if they are too lazy to scratch....only one of my greyhounds has even been scratching. It's the gsd who is running around the house scratching like there's no tomorrow. Drama queen......
PM
^
mom2paisley
 Posted: Sep 2 2011, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 29

Rep: 0 pts

Hope that helps.
PMEmail Poster
^
Hilda
 Posted: Sep 12 2011, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (dad2paisley @ Sep 1 2011, 03:43 PM)
Trish used Comfortis. 1/2 dose a month per dog.

The house, vacuum bag - spray with adams free spray. Vacuum everything and put in vacuum bag in trash can and through away right away. Then spray vacuum.
Vacuum every couple days.

It took Trish about a month to get rid of the fleas.

My friend Cheryl who picks up dogs from kennels & farms for Rescue Racers adoption, she gets Comfortis (sp) instead of putting Frontline or giving the a Capstar. Comfortis last about a month & works really quick. Capstar kills the ones that are on them at that moment, then its up to Frontline to do the rest.
My vet said he's been hearing that even Frontline isn't strong enough anymore. Its like nothing is killing them or keeping the eggs from hatching.
I have had good luck this summer (fingers crossed) since keeping my cats in the house vs letting them out in the back yard. Terminix was spraying my yard, but even that quick working so I let them go.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
Beryl
 Posted: Sep 29 2011, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

I use Bio Spot and so far I have not had any fleas or ticks. I was told about Bio Spot by a breeder a few years ago when there was in infestation of ticks that Frontline and the rest of them did not take care of and have been using Bio Spot ever since.
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Sep 29 2011, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 15

I'll have to watch for Biospot. Did you get it at the vet or Petsmart/Petco???
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Sep 29 2011, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

I have to look for it too.
^
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Nov 12 2011, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 46

I'm a little late on this but if you get a flea collar, cut it into pieces and put a piece into you vacuum, do your carpets take the vacuum outside to remove the bag, seal it and toss it. You can also get 20 mule team borax, spread it on the carpet, wait a while and vacuum it out - again toss the bag. Fleas are attracted to heat - you can get small xmas tree lights and some sticky mouse pads -- put the light under the furniture or near the furniture with the sticky pad - during the evening the fleas will be attracted to the heat of that tiny bulb. Black Flag actually makes this but it's just as easy to configue your own.

Get a flea comb and comb your pups. Do this with a glass of warm water with dish detergent - the detergent will kill the fleas once you tip the comb into the glass. If you don't have any fleas but have red dots in the water - that red is flea dirt. If you have a sprayer you can attach to your hose get some Dawn dishwashing liquid. I don't know what it is about Dawn but it kills them or you can spray your yard with Adams - be warned it smells like hell.

Good luck, I hate fleas.

Diane
PM
^
Warren
 Posted: Dec 24 2011, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Guests

--

Fleas! Having a nightmare, think I'm doing everything right but nothing's getting rid of them!?
Any ideas? We're treating them every month with frontline, which says 98-100% of fleas will be killed within 48 hours, and then the cats will be protected from getting any more for 5 weeks. We hoover the house every few days and we've treated the house a few times with spray. What more can we do? Any ideas gratefully received!
I recently found out I'm pregnant and don't like the idea of having fleas in the house. Its been a few months now. I don't think its a really heavy infestation, but you can see a little flea poo on our white sheets. Its starting to get me down, vets just said carry on what we're doing!
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Dec 24 2011, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Congrats on your pregnancy.

We had fleas too in our basement where our cats live.

Email my wife M2P
milkysgreytgoodies@yahoo.com

She has some special formula that got rid of them. I can't remember what it is.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll