Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Sorry, guests cant view the shoutbox!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» The adventures of Kandy Foster
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Rep: 0 pts

Awards: 1

I should've done this at the beginning of her visit. Kandy is a red fawn. Her kennel name was "Red".
Cheryl Plunk is a friend of mine who owns both retired greyhounds, racing greyhounds & puppies on the racing greyhound farms that are being trained. She also works with seveal of the kennels at the track taking pups to be adopted by Rescued Racers in Missouri.
I've been fostering a few of these pups, Kandy being one of them.
Kandy came straight from the racing kennel, her 2 sisters lived with Cora & Tom for a while, then moved on to Missouri & were adopted.
I've had Kandy since November...she has morphed into a hoot of a puppy. At first she wasn't interested in the cats, now she loves following the cats. She knows not to bite, hurt or chase the cats, just follow them as they make quick turns & can go into tiny little holes that she can't go into.
During the day Kandy sleeps in a crate next to Gabby my 13 yr old. It keeps her out of trouble.
The other day she was in my bedroom having a big ole time following the cats around...then things got quiet. I went in there & there's Kandy laying on Jack's bed, tearing up this block of styrofoam that had been part of a bath set I got for Christmas. With styrofoam there is static electricity & she had these little white balls stuck all over her, my bed, Jack's bed, the wall...it was hilarious. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
She collects dog bowls...the other night her crate had 8 dog bowls in it...I only have 6 bowls set out for feeding so I don't know where the other 2 bowls came from.
Fostering is an adventure for sure. She has learned to love someone who loves her in return. She's learned about eating in a group, what go lay down means, etc. So when she goes to a home, she'll ease right into their routine.
She has not learned about getting on the bed, but she does like laying on the love seat in the kitchen.
I'm going to start posting some stuff here that she does. I will try to take pictures, but she moves really fast.
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/christmascandy.jpg)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: none

:thenicethread: Love the pic too.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

she is a beauty
PM
^
TheBigBoys
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 58

Awards: None

She is a sweetie :aww: and it sounds like she will fit in anywhere.
PM
^
DonnaBehr
 Posted: Jan 6 2011, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 68

Awards: None

She has to do something to keep her busy while she's waiting to be adopted. :handclap:
PMEmail Poster
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 6 2011, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Today's adventure.
Kandy meet my tortie Holly. Evidently Kandy has never read the "tale" of tortie shell kitties. They say they're mean because they're part black cat & part orange tabby...Well I don't know which is meaner, Holly the kitty or Holly the bush.
I got home from work & as usual said hello to everyone as I was letting them out & then I let the ladies, Kandy & Gabby out. Kandy went racing out the back door & suddenly I hear a cat scream. More of an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....I walked quickly through the house & saw both Kandy & Smiley in the far corner where the holly bush is. I could see they had a cat under the bush....thing is the cat was no longer screaming, it was Kandy who was screaming, backing up & then pawing at her nose. I thought for sure Holly had bitten her which is what she did to the dogs she tested at the adoption kennel. Many tough racers were brought to tears when she did the testing for MSGAO...
When I got out there, it wasn't Holly's "stickers" who got Kandy in the nose, but Holly stickers in her nose. I didn't laugh in front of Kandy.
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/Jun07267.jpg)
Kandy...meet the Holly bush
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/May09115.jpg)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Hooked

Oh that was something Hilda, I know I would of gone charging outside to see what was up
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

I thought about this on the way to work this morning & I hope I don't offend anyone or appear that I don't care about Kandy or my cat Holly.
I checked Holly over really good last night & got bitten twice for doing so, but she didn't even have any slobber on her. I think when Kandy & Smiley went charging into the bushes, Kandy yelping because of the stickers from the Holly bush hurt & that got everyone, including me into a frenzy.
I checked Kandy's face, nose, eyes, ears over too. No stickers were left in her fur & Smiley evidently knows the Holly bush personally & didn't make contact.
I will say that last night I noticed Holly laying on my bed & Kandy walking waaaaaaaay around her. I hope its a lesson to Kandy to not chase the kitties. All of my cats except Sunny are declawed & Sunny doesn't use his claws on the dogs...he has learned to love them.
If I offended anyone, I apologize...I really do. hugz
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

WHAT! WHO THE HECK DID YOU OFFEND?
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Oh no one, I just wanted to make sure I didn't offend anyone. Sort of laughing at the dogs getting stuck by the holly bush vs the holly cat. I would've felt horrible if something happened to Holly the cat, or if Kandy had poked her eye out with one of the holly bush stickers, so I wanted to make sure that I covered my bases.
I guess I'm so used to be "fussed" at on other message boards, I wanted to make sure I explained myself.
Ya'll know how much I love my babies, so I shouldn't have to explain, but I wanted to make sure the new people knew.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

It seems as if we all get fussed at on the other message board
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 7 2011, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Holly bushes, me no like. I have one on the side of the house. It's going to be cut down, when we sell the house. I tell you, no burglers will break in on that side of the house. Ouch!
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 8 2011, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Oh yeah...thats the best way to keep people from climbing in or out. This particular bush got toppled over I think it was last spring...we must've had a "baby" tornado come through one night because my neighbor's apple tree fell through the fence, knocked over my holly bush. So her ex-roomie who is my lawn lady, and her husband came over & fixed the fence, cut down the apple tree & cut down my holly tree. Well evidently holly trees come back (take note Tom)...cause now I have another holly bush.
That's the same holly tree that Gogh went straight out the back door at 4:30am one morning, straight to the bush & came out with a bird. One of those bird in the bush things. he he he
This morning Kandy has been alittle restless. I wish I had some place to take her & let her run, I may put her & Smiley outside with muzzles on & let them have a good run. Oh never mind, she's gone to sleep now. Puppies......
January 24...

Bless her heart...when she first came to my house she wasn't afraid of the laminent floors & was afraid of the cats. Now its just the opposite.
Last night I was mopping the kitchen floor & of course I had Gabby & Kandy helping, and Smiley watching.
I always start at the laundry room door & come across so I can escape out of the kitchen w/out walking on the wet floor.
So I mopped the corner & I noticed Kandy standing by the refrigerator. I mopped some more, Kandy's still there. Her head was down & then I noticed her paws spread out flat...as if she was hanging on to the floor. She's never exhibited fear of the kitchen floor, its vinyl...so when I called her to me, she leaned against the lower cabinets, the refrigerator & when she got to me, she squeezed between me & the cabinets, finding the dry floor before escaping out of the kitchen.
She's so dang cute.
February 14, 2011 Kandy left this morning for the next leg of her journey.
They started her heartworm treatment & Chery called & said she went by there around lunch to pay her bill & they said she was doing great.
Cheryl called right before closing time & they said she was eating her dinner. She is a food hound.
So the next step is Cora will pick her up in the morning & take her to her place & start her quiet time. Cora is an expert with heartworms, seizures & cancer dogs. Being at home 90% of the time helps. When she's not home, Cora's husband Tom is home.
After that, then Kandy will move on to St Louis & Rescued Racers. Hopefully either her sisters Kate or Kassie's families will want to adopt Kandy.
I'm going to RR's reunion in June, so I'm hoping to get to see her. And get part of my heart away from her that she took with her this morning. hugz
February 15, 2011 3:29pmI got an email this morning from Cora, she called the vet & they told her she could pick up Kandy tomorrow (Wednesday).
She didn't ask why...
Well I thought maybe she is like BuyCuty & Smiley were during their treatments, ran a fever.
So I called just now. His receptionist said they went ahead & gave her the 2nd treatment & its made her back sore. So he gave her something for the pain, and he wants her to be kept quiet. So he said she could go home tomorrow. Bless her heart...all of this & she didn't even get a cool tatoo either.
I promised her that the end of her journey would be really great. hugz
February 17, 2011Talked to Cora, she said Kandy is doing good. She has to keep her crated, which Kandy didn't mind. She said she's sleeping, eating & taking her meds good. Yaaay

MAY 7, 2011
I tell ya between storms, friends in the hospital, work & fosters...I'm forgetting my updates.
The only relaxation I've had lately is going to watch Thurles race.
HOWEVER....Little Kandy came back to stay at my house for a week. She has been adopted, in Missouri by a wonderful lady & her husband who also adopted Maywood.
They lost their senior of course to that :frypan: cancer & were looking to adopt to help with the healing. It was suggested that they take a look at Kandy & so she emailed me & I told her all about both Kandy & Maywood.
Cheryl & I moved them last Sunday during a thunderstorm to Rescued Racers (an adoption group, not a rescue group) in Missouri.
I am happy to say they love both of them & couldn't be happier. Kandy loves the lady...she's alittle timid with the husband, but Maywood loves both of them.
Here are some pixies that Cherl took on Easter.
Kandy
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/kandy4242-Copy.jpg)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/kandy4241-Copy.jpg)
Maywood
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/maywood4244.jpg)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/snowy8/maywood424-Copy.jpg)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: May 7 2011, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

great update and pics. :cheer:
^
Hilda
 Posted: May 8 2011, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Isn't Kandy just the cutest thing? Cheryl does take some good pictures. And Maywood's color...very odd.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll