TheBigBoys
 Posted: Jan 17 2011, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Group: Members
Member No.: 58

Rep: none

Awards: None

I really could use some advice, my daughter just got a tiny little rescued beagle, he is pretty small, I think he is an 11 incher. Of course he won't be living with us but there is going to be times when I will be dog sitting him and we feel it is important to introduce him to the big boys. We have never had a little dog in the family so I really am not sure how to introduce them without my guys getting much to excited. The little guy is very quick and sort of bounces when he runs which makes me a bit uneasy fearing my guys might think he is something to chase. So if anyone has any advice on how to do this I would very much appreciate it. :thankyou:
PM
^
DonnaBehr
 Posted: Jan 18 2011, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 68

Rep: 0 pts

How do your dogs react to small dogs when you take them for a walk? That would be a first indicator as to how they will get along with the new guy.

Absolutely introduce them with muzzles on the greys. Also, if the beagle is bouncy and nips like a puppy, that could present a problem. Don't introduce them outside where the beagle can run around, that's for certain.

You will just have to be very careful and hopefully you know your dogs pretty well.

Good Luck.
PMEmail Poster
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 18 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 15

Awards: 1

Ditto what Donna said, but also...go to Petsmart or Petco & get the beagle a muzzle also. It won't hurt & he probably won't like it but he'll get over it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Smiley was fostered with a schnauzer that he got along with just great...but there's some Jack Russells living with the basset behind me & if they run up & down the fence, Smiley is very curious. Could be also cause they're white.
I would just introduce everyone with muzzles on, and then outdoor activities should be muzzled too & supervised.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
TheBigBoys
 Posted: Jan 18 2011, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Thanks, my daughter is bringing him over sometime this weekend so keep your fingers crossed. My guys are good with other dogs, they have never shown aggression with any other dogs. We use to doggy sit their other dog but she was a rotti mix and was much bigger, this little guy is a real cutie and was fostered with 2 labs so I am hoping he has some proper doggy manners (LOL). I will let you know how it goes.
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 19 2011, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

I'd like to know how he does, so be sure & let us know. We'll be easy on you if you don't think about taking pictures....this one time. he he he
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 46

Speaking from experience it's always better to introduce them in a neutral place and not inside the house. That location is the Grey's home and first they have to accept the visitor before they will let him/her into the home without a problem. Also, if you just let them all smell the rear of the beagle they should become one happy family. Also make sure they are all on a leash for easier control. I have 2 Greys, 5 Whippets, 1 German Shep and a white cat - all but one Whippet and the German Shep were gradually added to the family over the years with no problems. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Diane in NY
PM
^
TheBigBoys
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it goes, it should be interesting because this little guy has tons of energy. This is Bently, one of his rare moments sleeping :D
(IMG:http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/greyhounds3/Bently.jpg)
PM
^
DonnaBehr
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

He's sooooooooooo cute. :aww:

Let us know how the meet goes. Fingers crossed. :emo-crossfingers:
PMEmail Poster
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

He's cute.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Ohmygosh he's so cute!!! We had 2 beagles, Tony & Meg. he he he
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
TheBigBoys
 Posted: Jan 24 2011, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

So the meeting of the hounds went fine, we all met outside and went for a walk. There was lots of butt sniffing and doggy hello's but no growling or snapping or barking, at least from my guys anyway :D . Bently growled once or twice I think just because he was a little frightened at first, but he settled down and seemed fine. My guys wanted to play but he is way to small for me to be comfortable with that just yet. My daughter is going to start bringing him over a few times a week so they can all get uses to each other. So all went well anf hopefully it will get even better as they all get use to each other.
PM
^
DonnaBehr
 Posted: Jan 25 2011, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Fantastic. :aww: That's the kind of report we were waiting to hear. :yah:
PMEmail Poster
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: May 5 2011, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

:cheer:
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
woodandrew34@gmail.com
 Posted: Oct 26 2012, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 122

You might try walking them, each one with a handler. A brisk walk with each concentrating on moving forward, not sniffing around. After 20-30 minutes, the energy level will be lower for them to meet calmly...
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll