» Can greys swim?, swimming greys
slade
 Posted: Jul 31 2010, 11:22 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

Rep: none

Awards: None

I've heard that greys can't swim. So I took Slade to my daughters house and let him try. At first he was afraid. But after several times of being pulled into the pool he loved it. He most certainly can swim. Although it is a different style than my Doberman. He mainly swims with his front legs. Can't wait till he gets more experienced, maybe he will use all his legs.
PMEmail Poster
^
HoundIsle
 Posted: Aug 1 2010, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 34

Oh yes, some better then others. :D I took two of my guys to swim once a week to keep them in shape one summer. I puchased a life vest just in case,,,,, only used it once, they didn't need it. Some race kennels have whirlpool baths for their racers, many ex-racers love the water.

Pat
PMEmail Poster
^
mountain4greys
 Posted: Aug 1 2010, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Jr Grey Pup

Member No.: 11

Awards: 1

Lots of greys can swim, but a lot can't. They don't have the body fat to keep them afloat. You always have to watch them when they're in the water. They can go to the bottom of a pool very quickly. Many a greyhound have drowned when they weren't watched.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 1 2010, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

I would not take a chance without supervision
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Aug 1 2010, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I wouldn't let ours unless I was in the pool with em. But probably not. Maybe a kiddie small pool but not a regular size pool. I worry too much.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
allforgreys
 Posted: Aug 1 2010, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 17

When I had a pool in my first house, my one greyhound loved going in the pool but not at first. I did use the life jacket on her. I never left her alone in the pool and I mostly let her go in when I was in the water.
When I moved I bought a kiddie wading pool and she just loved that.

Good luck. hugz
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Aug 16 2010, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 15

Rep: 0 pts

Three of mine found out they could swim. When I lived on a lake, we were not allowed to have a fence across the back so for the first 2 weeks of ownership, everyone was walked on a leash around the yard so they'd see there's no fence, but lots of water. Snowy decided to take a leap out into the water & she immediately swam & then came back to the pier.
Pegasus found out that you have to stop before you get to the water if you're going to chase the ducks. I learned how to slide down the embankment with a dress on. Pegasus just stood there in the water & waited.
The most exciting & heart stopping time was when I decided Bool had learned that the yard was for staying in. But instead he decided the ice on the lake looked like fun. He leaped out into the water, where it was at least 9 feet deep & went swimming in the ice cold water. I jumped in after him. With Pegasus's help, I got him out of the water. Peg's ripped Bool's ear, so I had to take him to the vet. At first Dr Blackburn thought I was kidding until he realized Bool was still wet & had scratches on his belly.
NONE of them ever went swimming again.
Bool swam with his front legs only too.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll