HoundIsle
 Posted: Aug 2 2010, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

Rep: none

Awards: None

Here is a link to a Irish Coursing Blog I found interesting, there is also a video of a Irish racing. Notice on the racing video that the lure is on the OUTSIDE rail unlike the US where the lure in on the INSIDE rail.
The Coursing video is on the right side, it's of the quarter final and finals of the 2010 Irish Cup.
It's best viewed full screen.
Notice that in Irish coursing the GHs don't wear blankets, they wear either a RED or WHITE collar. The guy in the red coat is the Official Slipper, he releases both hounds at the same time after the hare. Watch closely the hare is released from the far side of the shed and is out of frame before the hounds are released. The hounds are muzzled and there is a escape for the hare at the far end of the field.
The roots of our GHs today orignally came from English & Irish coursing stock when they were brought to this country to help farmers control jack rabbits and among other things.
Lure Coursing in the US uses artificial lures, :D , normally three white trash bags pulled around a field by a string attached to a small electric motor with a pulley.

[URL= http://yvonneharrington.blogspot.com/]Coursing Blog[/URL]

Pat
PMEmail Poster
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Aug 5 2010, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: none

Awards: 1

Cool. I have added them as a follower on my blog.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Greyhound Discussion | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll