Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Sorry, guests cant view the shoutbox!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Euthanized racing greyhounds prompt concerns
Beryl
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Hooked

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

Awards: 1

What about adoped greys getting loose - hold the adopter responsible and we read about that daily

What about them getting hit by cars - again hold the adopter resonsible

What about injuries - again hold the adopter responsible

Why don't we do a survery of how many greys have died while in the care of an adopter against those who have died on the track, etc.

I wonder
PM
^
HoundIsle
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 34

Rep: none

Awards: None

The article is written in the same manner as a Grey2K press release complete with quotes from Mr Thiel. It was written with the intent to lead the reader to one conclusion, that this track is unsafe. Grey2K's is currently attempting to use injuries/injury reports to discredit GH racing at pari-mutual tracks without putting them in context. Injuries are not reported by pet owners, none reported for animals that competed in any amateur performance event. Without knowing the type of injury or how severe the injury or the numbers compared to other activities they don't tell a complete story. All this information is a attempt to lead the uninformed to believe racing is dangerous. We live in a world filled with risk, we evulate the risk and decide a course of action. Driving a car, walking across a road, flying in a aircraft and most activities we engage in daily carry risk. We evaluate these risks daily knowing that injuries could result.

So I take it you don't feel that anything should have been done about the situation at this track?

From the article
A refresh of the racing surface was completed immediately[U] after the collisions.

The track did take corrective action immediately, makes one wonder why the article was written.

How many healthy pets are euthanized in the every year?

Ahd where is the logic that other animals being euthanized somehow makes greyhounds being eithanized okay?

The question was ask show that there is a huge problem with pets being euthanized. Unwanted pets are euthanized by the millions every year by a society that deems it a acceptable legal way to rid itself of unwanted animals. Makes one wonder where are the news articles, the protesters, the moral outrage?
The reverse to you question is -'If it's society deems it OK to euthanize one animal why not another?"

Pat

PMEmail Poster
^
jenna
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (mountain4greys @ Sep 20 2010, 04:29 AM)
As I've said before and you didn't reply to That, more dogs get hurt in adopters care than anywhere, so what do you suppose we do about that?

I did reply to it. You just didn't read it. But I will try to explain.

First of all, there are far more pets in adoption than there are greyhounds racing at any given time. Comparing the two is not going to prove anything. Shall we just say that more pets are injured in adoption than pit bulls injured fighting? More pets injured in adoption than confiscated in puppy mills? Blah, blah, blah, you aren't saying anything at all. You are not even comparing apples to oranges but apples to fruit! It makes zero sense and does not prove a thing.

Secondly, no one is trying to justify pet injuries. No one is trying to say it's okay. When they look back and see that the injury might have been preventable, they wish they had done things differently. They learn from their mistakes. They change their ways. Those who continue to put their animals at risk in the same exact manner are considered careless and often times, lose the right to own those animals. People do not just say "oh, bad stuff happens" and leave it at that.

Now comes the big question. Do you think the track could have exercised better judgement and resurfaced the track before the dogs were hurt? And why do you suppose they needed someone else to point it out before anything was done? Do you honestly believe this was a once in a lifetime, freak accident that no one could have possibly known was going to happen?

I don't care about Grey2K. I don't care about anti/pro racing. I don't let any of that garbage cloud what matters the most to me. The dogs. They could have been treated better. This was preventable. It did not have to happen. I would never defend or support this type of carelessness at a race track or in your backyard.

Jenna
QUOTE (HoundIsle @ Sep 20 2010, 07:33 AM)
From the article
A refresh of the racing surface was completed immediately[U] after the collisions.

The track needed resurfacing BEFORE those dogs raced. They knew it but they raced them anyway. You should not need a collision to tell you the track needs resurfacing. You should know by the condition of the track

Jenna
PMEmail Poster
^
mountain4greys
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Jr Grey Pup

Member No.: 11

How the hell can you know there is a problem with something until there is a problem? Just like with traffic lights, they wait until there is a serious accident and then they realize they need a light there.
They can't possibly know there's a problem before something happens, and then they fixed it immediately.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
^
Beryl
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

Jimmy this is a no win situation they are going to come up with something anti no matter what you post. Wheeling track is or was closed for 2 weeks for track work. Just because there are/were a few bad apples it does not mean they are all rotten. When you compare adopted to racing then you do a ratio so that you can get an idea of what is what.

PM
^
HoundIsle
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

The article starts with the assumption that the track was unsafe and needed to to be fixed using injuries as proof. Given that as a starting point then anytime a greyhound is injured it is due to property owner's neglect for not providing a safe running surface. One CANNOT eliminate all the possible ways a dog can get injured either in the back yard, a field or a race track. I will restate what I said in a earlier post "by far the BEST & SAFEST surface is a groomed sand track." Nobody is trying to justify any injury, pet or track, there is no perfect running surface. Greyhound injuries very greatly, they could be a sore muscle, a slipped pad, a broken a toe nail, a pulled a muscle or broke a bone. I read many pet list, it not uncommon to see adopters asking for advice concerning different injuries. Greyhounds can and do sustain injuries at home, at the dog park, in a field and at the track. Yes we all try to prevent the posibility of injury where ever we run our greyhounds but they still happen. There isn't a way to prevent all injuries.

First of all, there are far more pets in adoption than there are greyhounds racing at any given time. Comparing the two is not going to prove anything

At 8 dogs per race and 15 races per card over a year a single track will have had 40,320 GHs race. If we only count 10 tracks that is 403,200 Greyhounds raced. The chances of injury to a Greyhound while racing is less then a fraction of one percent.

Pat

PMEmail Poster
^
jenna
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (HoundIsle @ Sep 20 2010, 11:07 AM)
First of all, there are far more pets in adoption than there are greyhounds racing at any given time. Comparing the two is not going to prove anything

At 8 dogs per race and 15 races per card over a year a single track will have had 40,320 GHs race. If we only count 10 tracks that is 403,200 Greyhounds raced. The chances of injury to a Greyhound while racing is less then a fraction of one percent.

And how many times do airplance fly? How many times are cars driven? The accidents are a miniscule percent but that does not make them any less serious or worthy of investigation. And people don't just accept that "they happen". If someone messed up, they pay.

Jenna
PMEmail Poster
^
HoundIsle
 Posted: Sep 20 2010, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

You made a good point injuries are miniscule, we still fly, drive cars & we still race dogs, it doesn't mean that the activities aren't safe. The article was written way after incident, it had been investigated, cause determined and corrective action taken. Again I question the motive of Grey2K and the author for producing the article. As far as I'm concerned it was another attemp to discredit pro racing, Grey2K's only answer to injuries is end pro racing.

Pat

PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Racing News | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll