Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Sorry, guests cant view the shoutbox!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» First Time Greyhound owner--HELP!!, Behavior, training, etc.
lelanimessenger
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 03:35 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

Rep: none

Awards: None

Hey folks!

My husband and I are first-time greyhound owners and we're stumped and a little concerned about our retired greyhound's behavior.

When we first brought our boy Hermes home, we were impressed with how well he behaved. We kept him with us constantly (crate is in our bedroom) and taught him all about his new home (how to get in/out of the car, windows, how to go up/down the stairs, where to go potty, how to treat his toys, etc.). But despite all the time we've spent with him and interacting with him, he doesn't seem to have bonded with either of us. He doesn't treat us much differently than any other person he meets.

Anyway, he's decided the couch is the best thing ever, and has initiated play with us and will wag when he first sees us, but otherwise shows very little sign of happiness. He's quiet, and doesn't seem to WANT our attention. When we praise him and pet him he stands still and has no reaction. He doesn't seek us out unless we physically leave the room/go upstairs or down. When we go to the dog park (after the first time) he goes off on his own and completely ignores us, even when we use his name/talk excitedly at him.

We've been working on some training, and he does respond to his name for the most part at home, and we're working on come, wait, etc.

Training has been difficult with him because he's not motivated by toys, praise, or food. It really seems like our dog doesn't like us! It's been almost two weeks since we brought him home--has anyone else had experience with a dog taking a looooong time like this to relax emotionally? It only took him a day or two to initiate play with us...

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!! We're not sure if we're doing something wrong or if we just might not be the right people for him. We've read a lot about greyhounds and have tried to be very positive with him and train by catching him doing things right, etc. etc. so I don't think we've made him feel unwelcome... :banghead:

If anything I've put in here is unclear.. please let me know! We're pretty desperate to figure out what to do about our dog's seeming detachment from us and the environment.

Thank you in advance! We really want to make this work, but I want the dog to have a home that will suit him.

PMEmail Poster
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 06:57 AM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

Awards: 1

some it takes awhile to get used to new living arrangements. remember he has been crated most of his life and this is new. Penske will get on the futon, chair but not in my bed. EZ took him over a year to learn how to play with toys, get on the futon and chair. each pup is different. EZ had been in a home before and was a bounce back plus in was in foster care for a while..Give him time even now mine will ignore me when I call them. They do show excitement when I come home from work or being out.
PM
^
lelanimessenger
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Thanks Beryl,

Neither my husband or I really know what to expect...and we're a little dumbfounded that our beautiful boy doesn't even seem to show enjoyment when we pet him and scratch him!

Would you recommend holding off on any training for things that aren't basic? Do your dogs come back and 'check in' with you every so often when playing at a dog park?

Thanks for your input! We both really appreciate it!
PMEmail Poster
^
mountain4greys
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Jr Grey Pup

Member No.: 11

Everything will work out. All dogs will develop their own quirks the longer you have them. It will all fall into place. The first thing you need is lots of understanding and patience with a greyhound. They are all different, and will all act different. That's one reason is so much fun having more than one.

It takes some years before they play with toys, and some never do. The longer you have him, the more changes you will see in him.

Like Beryl said, this is all new to them, and it takes a while before the REALLY feel comfortable about anything. They don't always show it, but there is probably still some stress there from everything new. This was all thrown on him all at once, and this isn't anywhere near what things were like when they were growing up and at the track.

Patience will reward you with a wonderful dog, but remember, they all have some kind of quirk.

Jimmy
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
^
HoundIsle
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 34

Beryl & M4GH hit the nail on the head, relax you & your pup will be fine.

Ex racers have lived their entire lives with a pack, they had a schedule or daily routine. A calm voice, gentle hand, patience and time will work wonders. One of our lastest adopted GHs showed very little emotion, he has that blank stare. Well after 5 months he's coming around nicely. The last adopted GH has only been here less then 2 months, she walked in the house and was at home. :D

Pat

PMEmail Poster
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

about coming back when called Hershey could care less she can run she will run but will come back when she is good and ready and she was not a racer. My boys are more of mommy boys but both had been in foster care before I got them maybe a couple of different homes.

Just like children no two are alike so sit back and stay calm don't get excited or stressed over this as they will know.
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It does take time with some greyhounds. How long have you had him? Eventually, he will come out of his shell. When we got Suzy, she was so shy and had some SA issues, but then after some training classes, interaction around other pups, all our greyhound events we go too, she finally came out of her shell and is such a silly funny girl and the BOSS of the pack.
Just give it time and give him love and patience and it will all work out.

Keep us updated.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

I think we all agree it will take time patience and TLC
PM
^
lelanimessenger
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Agreed! We are so new to this--it's good to get some feedback from more experienced greyhound mommies and daddies thku
PMEmail Poster
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

:youwelcome: please keep us updated
PM
^
mountain4greys
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Jr Grey Pup

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (lelanimessenger @ Aug 27 2010, 06:29 PM)
Agreed! We are so new to this--it's good to get some feedback from more experienced greyhound mommies and daddies thku

That's what this message board is all about. We're here to help. I realized quite a while back, that I'll never know everything there is to know about greyhounds. It's constantly a learning experience. And it's a fun one to learn.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
^
Beryl
 Posted: Aug 27 2010, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Jimmy is so right and with greys you learn something every day either from your greys or from someone that has been there done that
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Greyhound 911 | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll