Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Sorry, guests cant view the shoutbox!

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Prayers needed for Lincoln
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 46

Rep: none

Awards: None

Some of the meds Lincoln is taking could cause the big D. Give him some yogurt and add rice to his food but don't make a big batch and use it little by little or get canned pumpkin (not pie filling) and add that to his food. The refrigerator life of cooked rice is only a few days before it starts getting moldy. Better to make a little at a time. Definitely keep a close eye on those gums - they are the key to everything. If they change ( lighter) immediately call the vet - it might mean he has a bleed somewhere in his body.

Diane in NY
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Awards: 1

Trish gave him some pumkin in his food this am. Normally he will eat it. He didn't want it. Will for sure watch the gums.

Thanks for your post Diane. :handclap:
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Member No.: 7

Rep: 1 pts

hope you make it with this snow - I know I 79 was having problems earlier
PM
^
Hilda
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Grey Pup

Member No.: 15

Rep: 0 pts

Sounds like Lincoln is doing alot better. Bless his heart. I think its neat that Bear could be there for him. They've definitly got a bonding between them. :hrtgry:
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Lincoln ate all his food this morning. And looking for more. Gums about the same. Not any worse. The meds must be working. One day at a time.

Now if only Suzy would eat and not bark.
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Hooked

Hope your vet give him a good going over. Anemia can tell the doc many problems that might be occuring and it helps diagnose major problems.

Glad he is eating just keep an eye on the gums
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Our vet is an exert on greyhounds. That's his main breed he see's. He does see other dogs and cats but greyhounds are his main clients.
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Hooked

good he is an expert on gh - what I meant is make sure that he keeps checking his blood and watch his gums

Anemia is what helped diagnose Dave's cancer, if his blood test had not come back that he was anemic they would not of further tested him.
PM
^
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

D2P, always happy to be able to help. Has Lincoln ever been in any type of pile-up where he might have been injured. It's a good thing your vet is a GH vet, there is always the possibility that Lincoln injured his spleen which is basically a filter for the blood. I'm sure your vet has already checked this but keep a good eye on his gums - first sign of change contact your vet. Gee, didn't like the pumpkin - maybe he wanted some whipped cream with it. :D

Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor but work for a malpractice insurance company and deal with doctors all day long.

Diane in NY
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

The only injury Lincoln had was as a puppy, he broke his leg. He never raced and we got him at 4months old.
We'll have to ask the vet tomorrow about the spleen. I as a young boy, I had spherocytosis and my spleen was taken out. My blood cells where dying off too soon, so they took out my spleen.
They did take x-rays and saw nothing, no rupture etc. Would they have seen the spleen problems in the x-ray? Trish has a long list to ask our vet tomorrow.
Lincoln seemed a bit like himself today which is good news.
^
Beryl
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Hooked

Lincoln is not the only grey that does not like pumpkin - mine don't like it either unless it is in a pie cooked with whipped cream :tofunny:
PM
^
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Should they see the problem on the x-ray - yes - but how many times have x-rays been taken for a broken limb and it didn't show up the first or the second time and the third there it was. It's all location, location and location -- how was he positioned when the films were taken, etc. One problem with being a vet is your patient can't tell you what his/her problem is and where it hurts - it's a guessing game and a lot of poking.

You mentioned you had your spleen removed as a child. Do you have any blood related issues because of this -- I ask because animals do try to shield their humans from harm and it's possible that Lincoln is attempting to shield you from any medical issues. For instance - I have a friend who periodically has back problems, at the same time one of her greyhounds also develops back problems - friend better, greyhound better at the same time. Go figure.

Diane
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

I have no medical issues after I had the surgery. I can't donate blood which is about it.
^
inquisitive snoop
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Glad to hear that. I understand you're going to Ohio this weekend - have a safe trip and watch out for black ice.

Diane
PM
^
dad2paisley
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Yes, we're heading up and my sister will be baby sitting the cats and looking after our house when we are gone. We also have an alarm system, so that will be on too as it is everyday.

Lincoln ate his dinner :cheer: :cheer:
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Greyhound 911 | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll